On this page
Children and young people have a right to be safe and protected at all times, including when accessing services in the community.
The Children’s Protection Act 1993 requires certain organisations to provide a child safe environment.
Organisations that do not take appropriate steps to protect children’s safety and wellbeing may be poorly equipped to manage and respond to risks that may arise regarding the safety and well-being of children accessing their services.
A child safe environment is a safe and friendly setting where children feel respected, valued and encouraged to reach their full potential.
Organisations providing a child safe environment:
- take a preventative, proactive and participatory stance on child protection issues
- value and embrace the opinions and views of children and young people
- assist children and young people to build skills that will assist them to participate in society
- are focused on the protection of children and young people and take action to protect them from harm
- provide parents, guardians or carers with evidence of their child safe environments policies and procedures when requested.
You must provide a child safe environment if you are a government organisation or if your organisation provides services wholly or partly for children (under 18 years old) in one or more of these categories:
This applies to:
- government organisations
- local government organisations
- non-government organisations
- sole traders and people working in partnerships.
Organisation in this context includes a wide range of bodies who work with children, including businesses, services providers and incorporated and unincorporated groups.
A commitment to promoting the safety, wellbeing and participation of children and young people should be firmly embedded in every organisation’s culture.
This commitment should be reflected in their policies and procedures and understood and practiced at all levels of the organisation.
- have in place appropriate child safe policies and procedures
- meet relevant history information obligations relevant to the organisation type
- lodge a statement about their child safe environment policies and procedures with the Department for Child Protection
- ensure that appropriate reports of suspected child abuse or neglect are made to the child abuse report line as outlined in the mandatory notification page.
Child Safe Environments
Phone: 8463 6468
Email: decdchildsafe [at] sa.gov.au