The Family Services program strengthens family and community capacity to respond to children.
Family services coordinators work with parents, centre staff and other agencies to help families develop and maintain safe, caring, connected and resilient relationships.
Family services coordinators:
- create local networks and connect families with services and supports that best meets their needs
- build parenting capacity and early childhood development skills and knowledge, specifically in understanding the importance of relationships for children
- encourage and support families to actively participate within their community
- increase access to a range of interconnected learning, health and support services
- build centre staff expertise in responding to children experiencing the effects of trauma, abuse and neglect.
Family services coordinators perform activities including:
- short-term counselling to identify and respond to personal issues
- connecting families with appropriate services that deal with domestic violence, housing, drug and alcohol problems, mental health and follow up and advocacy
- working with Families SA to assist children in out-of-home care to be reunified with their parents or to facilitate positive connections with their parents and extended family.
- parenting programs with a focus on relationships, social and emotional wellbeing and trauma, such as the Circle of Security and Bringing up Great Kids.
Children's centres team
Phone: 8226 3845
Email: DECD.ChildrensCentres [at] sa.gov.au