The National Quality Framework (NQF) is a quality standard to improve education and care across long day care, family day care, preschool/kindergarten, and outside school hours care.
The NQF includes:
- a national legislative framework that consists of the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 and Education and Care Services National Regulations 2011
- a National Quality Standard
- an assessment and rating system
- a regulatory authority in each state and territory who have primary responsibility for the approval, monitoring and quality assessment of services.
The NQF requires that all states and territories regulate early childhood education and care, and school age care services covered by the framework.
The Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) is the national body responsible for providing oversight of the system.
In South Australia OSHC services are regulated by the Education and Early Childhood Services Registration and Standards Board of South Australia.
Services must meet the requirements of the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 which includes new Education and Care Services National Regulations.
OSHC services use the My Time, Our Place framework for School Age Care to guide the development of a program and environment that is responsive to each child’s needs, interests, and choices and that contributes fully to their ongoing development.
Through the use of this framework educators assist children to develop:
- a strong sense of their identity
- connections with their world
- a strong sense of wellbeing
- confidence and involvement in their learning
- effective communication skills.
- Planning cycles
- Quality improvement plans - information for OSHC (PDF 221KB)
- Compliance monitoring and unscheduled & scheduled visits from the regulatory authority
- Critical reflection in out of school hours care (Word 182KB)
- Families sharing decision making - OSHC (Word 182KB)
Out of school hours care unit
Phone: 8226 6427
Email: decd.oshc [at] sa.gov.au