On this page
The Multicultural Education and Languages Committee (MELC) was established by the South Australian Minister for Education and Child Development in December 2015.
This followed the merge of the former Multicultural Education Committee and the former Ethnic Schools Board.
The committee is constituted as a non-statutory committee under section 10 of the South Australian Education Act (1972).
The committee provides advice to the South Australian Minister for Education and Child Development on languages and multicultural education. The Hon. Susan Close MP is the Minister for Education and Child Development.
- promotes the teaching of languages in South Australia
- supports the preservation of languages and cultures
- encourages the internationalisation of teaching and learning in South Australia.
The committee forms partnerships with:
- education systems and authorities
- early childhood services
- interstate, national and international tertiary institutions and non-government organisations.
The committee engages with students, families and the wider South Australian community.