The department does not provide accidental injury insurance for children, students or visitors to departmental sites with the exception of insurance for volunteers and for students on approved work-experience placements off site.
Claims for expenses in relation to children, students or visitors to departmental sites may be met if the injury or damage is attributable to negligence on the part of the department.
Any person lodging a claim must provide details of:
- the incident
- evidence of why the claimant believes the department is responsible
- costs being claimed.
This information can be submitted via email to decd.legalclaims [at] sa.gov.au or by mail to:
Legal Services Directorate, DECD
GPO Box 1152
Adelaide SA 5001
Further information about the injury claims process is available in the Accidents to children, students or visitors procedure (PDF 449KB) or by contacting the Manager, Claims.
When determining to seek emergency assistance (ambulance) for children and students, staff should refer to the Health support planning guidelines (staff login required). Staff should not use a private vehicle to transport individuals to hospital.
Students and volunteers
Ambulance costs are primarily the responsibility of the individual or their caregiver.
Those who are covered under private ambulance cover should contact their insurer to recover costs. Where a student or volunteer does not have private cover, they can lodge a request for payment through the Legal Services directorate in accordance with the following process:
- Schools supply a statutory declaration - claim for ambulance fees form to the parent or carer.
- The parent completes the statutory declaration and gives it to the site leader with the ambulance invoice.
- The site leader signs the statutory declaration.
- The site leader forwards the statutory declaration, ambulance invoice and IRMS incident ID number to the Legal Services directorate for payment.
Visitors to department sites are responsible for their own ambulance costs.
DECD Legal Claims
Phone: 8226 1555
Email: DECD.LegalClaims [at] sa.gov.au