The Community Development program coordinates services to enhance parenting and community capacity.
Community development coordinators apply their knowledge and understanding of community strengths, needs and aspirations to provide and coordinate flexible and locally tailored services that engage families.
Community development coordinators aim to:
- connect families with other families, community activities and learning, and health and support services that best meet their needs
- facilitate opportunities for families to increase their knowledge and skills around parenting and childhood development
- support parents to develop personally and build their leadership skills
- encourage families and staff to have a strong voice about the programs and services offered.
Community development coordinators work in partnership with other agencies to facilitate a range of programs and services including:
- playgroups for parents and carers that include Aboriginal families, dads, step-parents, grandparents, foster carers, family day care educators, refugees and newly arrived families and children
- parenting programs that include child development, early literacy, song time, music and movement, baby massage, support groups and cooking
- community events including family fun days, community lunches, school holiday programs, cultural events, celebrations and barbeques
- personal development to enhance literacy, career pathways, skill development, volunteering, TAFE and SACE studies.
Children's centres team
Phone: 8226 3845
Email: DECD.ChildrensCentres [at] sa.gov.au