On this page
Family day care (FDC) is a service where a professional carer looks after your child in their home. It’s small group care for a maximum of 4 children under school age and 3 children of school age.
The hours of care are flexible and carers may offer full-time, part-time or occasional care. Some carers offer overnight, weekend or vacation care.
Family day care benefits the children being looked after because:
- smaller groups of children means strong, trusting relationships with one main educator
- siblings can be cared for together in the same home
- children will be in a home environment that will help them develop relationships that go from a young age through to primary school years
- if they have additional needs they can be cared for
- they will be in an environment that supports play-based learning.
As a parent or carer you may:
- be eligible for the Australian Government’s Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate to assist with fees
- have access to a formal childcare option that can operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- have a choice of educators so you can decide who best suits you and your child.
The family day care educators:
- have a minimum qualification of Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- have regular police clearance checks for themselves and other occupants in their homes
- run a service that complies with the National Quality Framework government standards and state requirements
- are supported by highly-trained department FDC coordinators who work at a local level and interact with children, educators and parents.
Family day care is an inclusive service and children with additional needs are welcomed into our small, home-based care environments.
The department also operates the Respite Care Program, a specialised disability care service for children and young people. The program is a provider for the Australian Government’s National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) which provides funding for respite care for children and young people with a disability.
For more information about the Respite Care Program, please contact them on 8343 6533.
Family Day Care business and customer support centre
Phone (metro): 8343 6533
Phone (country): 1300 551 890
Email: DECDfdcbusiness [at] sa.gov.au