Out of school hours care (OSHC) staff on DECD sites are employed by either:
- the school governing council
- a third-party organisation as the approved provider of OSHC.
OSHC staff are not employees of the department unless they are also employed in another capacity at the site, for example as a school support officer.
Recruitment of OSHC positions happens at individual sites.
To find out if a service has vacancies contact the site and speak to the OSHC director.
OSHC staff on DECD sites can be employed as either qualified or unqualified educators depending on the requirements of the position.
Individuals who work or volunteer in an OSHC service are required to have:
- Responding to Abuse and Neglect - education and care (RAN-EC) training
- a relevant history screening from a DECD approved screening authority
- an approved ACECQA qualification (for qualified educator positions only)
- SMART (Strategies for Managing Abuse Related Trauma) training (when children under the Guardianship of the Minister are enrolled at the service).
First aid qualifications and training
The Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) has a list of approved first aid qualifications and training.
Individual services determine which OSHC staff are required to have a first aid qualification.
"The first aid, anaphylaxis management training and emergency asthma management training required must be updated at least every three years from the date of completion. The first aid certificate may specify additional requirements to keep it valid. For example, if your first aid certificate requires the CPR component to be completed every 12 months to keep it current, you will need to comply."
Out of school hours care unit
Phone: 8226 6427
Email: decd.oshc [at] sa.gov.au