On this page
The department is committed to reducing waste to landfill from schools, preschools and corporate offices and supporting practices to eliminate or minimise waste production and resource consumption, and promote opportunities for the recycling of waste materials wherever possible.
The waste and resources management project has been developed to identify and implement improvements to waste management services across DECD schools and preschools. The project aims to:
• improve environmental performance by reducing the amount of waste going to landfill in-line with SA Government strategic waste reduction targets and SA Zero Waste strategies
• promote opportunities for incorporation of proactive waste management education into school curriculum to drive behaviour change and an environmental sustainability mindset
• improve service provision to schools through service level agreements and performance based contracts with waste contractors
• reduce costs through improvements in waste management services provision.
KESAB works with education sites across SA and has an experienced and dedicated sustainability team making them highly regarded in the education sector.
Wipe Out Waste (WOW) is an initiative delivered by KESAB, providing a whole school community approach to waste management and learning. Through waste audits and assessments, the program assists all sites, from preschool to year 12 to:
• improve systems to reduce waste and recover resources in schools
• monitor progress and continually improve resource recovery (waste) outcomes in schools
• encourage and influence the adoption of more sustainable behaviour.
Through our partnership, KESAB staff will conduct audits and assessments at up to 60 metro and outer metro DECD sites to:
• gather data on current waste management practices and systems
• identify opportunities for improvement to achieve reductions in waste to landfill and resource consumption
• present environmental sustainability learning opportunities.
Asset Policy and Environmental Resources
Phone: 8226 0091
Email: DECD.Environment [at] sa.gov.au