On this page
Asbestos may still be located in many items or facilities at SA government schools and preschool worksites.
Examples of typical asbestos-containing materials include:
- building construction materials such as fibro sheets, floor tiles beneath carpets, roof sheets, roof tiles and shingles
- ceiling insulation materials
- lagging around hot water systems and in heating equipment (such as kilns, heating mantles and laboratory ovens)
- brake pads on older vehicles in automotive workshops
- carrels in libraries.
There are many other examples of asbestos-containing materials at DECD sites, therefore site managers must ensure that all suspected asbestos-containing materials are verified by DPTI Asbestos Services.
When undertaking any work involving asbestos, ensure that:
- DPTI Asbestos Services is notified before any asbestos is removed
- DPTI Asbestos Services or other fully-licensed and qualified asbestos removal contractors are employed
- any work involving asbestos occurs outside of school or preschool operating hours.
Asset Support Centre
Phone: 1800 810 076
Email: DECD.asc [at] sa.gov.au