Every school in South Australia must have a constitution. Your school will need a constitution for a:
In each case, the constitution must be approved by the Minister for Education and Child Development.
What it looks like
An approved constitution has an ‘approved by’ stamp on the front page. It will be signed and dated by the minister or their delegate.
Where it’s kept
There must be a copy of the approved constitution kept at the school.
When to change it
You shouldn’t need to change your school’s constitution often. Some of the times you can change it are when:
- your school’s name changes
- you need to change the composition of the council’s membership
- your site merges with another one.
See when to change an approved constitution for more information.
It is your school’s constitution that sets its legal status. If your school has an approved constitution they are an incorporated body.
- Governing Council Model Constitution – template (Word 140KB)
- School Council Model Constitution – template (Word 131KB)
Approval templates and flowchart
- Governing council constitution approval process – flowchart (Word 73KB)
- School council constitution checklist – template (Word 67KB)
- Governing council constitution approval letter – template (Word 56KB)
Governing Councils, Office for Education and Early Childhood
Phone: 8226 9617
Email: decd.sitegovernance [at] sa.gov.au