- have to do the Responding to Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RAN-EC) induction session for volunteers
- are considered a mandated notifier.
The site leader (principal/director) will guide you through what’s required and how to get more information.
Leadership and protecting children
Even though you might not work directly with children, you are in an influential position on the council. You might also hear about specific situations or children. The RAN-EC induction session for volunteers will help you in how to deal with what you might hear.
Part of your role on a council is working with other volunteers. Working with the site leader, you might need to:
- make sure volunteers are aware of their own responsibilities as a mandated notifier
- find ways to recruit new volunteers
- work with existing volunteers on affiliated committees
- encourage new and existing volunteers to join the council.
Volunteers play a crucial role in supporting the education and wellbeing of children and young people. Also, it's proven that volunteers are happier, healthier and even sleep better than people who don’t volunteer.
Governing Councils, Office for Education and Early Childhood
Phone: 8226 9617
Email: decd.sitegovernance [at] sa.gov.au
To apply to volunteer, contact the site you want to help
Look for the children’s centre, preschool or school you want to volunteer with.
Volunteers – Engagement and Wellbeing directorate
Phone: 8226 3795
Email: decd.volunteers [at] sa.gov.au