Go to top of page

Working with government schools

This information is for any organisation that works with South Australian government schools as an approved provider.

Requirements for approved panel members

Once you are an approved member of the panel, you’ll work closely with the school’s principal.

Panel members must meet the quality and reporting requirements of the department under a Deed of Agreement. The following documents provide information about these requirements:

The principal will give you all the information you need, including what you need to do to be compliant.

Mandatory minimum qualifications for case managers

Case managers working with students must have at least one of these qualifications:

  • Certificate IV or Diploma in Youth Work or Youth Justice
  • Certificate IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention (Child Protection) – Youth Specific stream
  • Bachelor Degree in social work or psychology.

If you do not have any of these qualifications, you will need to provide one of these instead:

  • a letter from an educational institution to confirm you have enough relevant competencies to meet the requirements for providing case management services to vulnerable youth
  • evidence of recognition of your prior learning from an education provider for the minimum qualifications (per the Flexible Learning Options enrolment policy)
  • a signed declaration from your employer to demonstrate you are suitable to be a case manager (per the Case Management standards).

Evidence needs to be sent to decd.studentengagement [at] sa.gov.au.

Training for teaching the child protection curriculum

It is required that:

  • all children and young people in government preschools and schools access approved child protection curriculum each year
  • the approved child protection curriculum is taught by staff (including flexible learning option case managers) who have been trained to do.

Anyone who delivers ‘Module 2 – My Wellbeing’ from the flexible learning and transition portfolio (FLTP) must have :

Flexible learning options case managers must log in to the child protection training portal to access the Keeping Safe: Child Protection links included in ‘Module 2 – My Wellbeing’.

For more information about this training please contact us.

How approved providers can add a new location or service

If you want to offer a new service or services in a new location – that aren’t yet included in your current deed of agreement – you will need to contact us.


You can contact our team if you have feedback about a department-funded service provider.


Student Engagement unit

Phone: 8226 2415
EmailDECD.StudentEngagement [at] sa.gov.au