On this page
Parents in Education week 2017
In 2017 Parents in Education week was from Monday 18 to Friday 22 September.
Parents in Education week promotes and highlights the importance of parents being engaged in their child’s learning and education from birth through school, and provides practical advice for parents on how to support their child’s learning.
This year a 3-day speakers program was delivered each evening from Tuesday 19 to Thursday 21 September. The Minister for Education and Child Development chaired a panel, and keynote speakers presented at the Star Room, Adelaide Entertainment Centre.
Parents and educators who did not join in one of these live sessions have not missed out.
Registrations are still open to attend locally hosted screenings of the 3 PiE Week sessions until the end of term 4. These are being held at schools, preschools and community venues across the state.
- Choose the session of interest from the program below
- register to attend a recorded viewing of your session/s of choice at one of over 55 venues across the state including government, Independent or Catholic preschools, schools and community locations. You can view the map of locations on the arcgis website
- view a session on demand via the DECD YouTube page available until 31 December 2017 at the video links below.
You can register to participate by clicking on the session topics of your choice in the program below. All events are free, with sessions available until the end of term 4.
|An evening with Minister Susan Close and guests discussing the 21st Century child||19 September 2017|
7.00pm to 8.45pm
|Dr Kristin Alford|
|Unlocking your child’s potential and learning through strength-based parenting"||20 September 2017|
7.00pm to 8.45pm
|Professor Lea Waters|
|9 Ways to a Resilient Child||21 September 2017|
7.00pm to 8.45pm
|Dr Justin Coulson|
YouTube will be used for the recorded webcast events.
Requirements your site will need for watching a YouTube live event on a computer, tablet or phone include:
- the most recent version of Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari
- Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.7+, Ubuntu 10+, or Linux OS 11+ (64-bit)
- an internet connection with 1+ Mbps download speed.
Professor Lea Waters, PhD, is a registered psychologist, researcher, speaker and author who specializes in positive psychology. Lea has worked with families, schools and workplaces across the globe and is the proud mother of 2 children.
In 2015, she was listed as one of Australia’s Top 100 Women of Influence by the Financial Review and Westpac. Professor Waters featured in the ABC TV documentary Revolution School, and is regularly featured in the press and on radio.
Dr Justin Coulson is one of Australia’s leading parenting experts. Justin and his wife Kylie are parents to 6 daughters. He is the author of 2 bestselling parenting books and earned his PhD in psychology. He appears regularly on television and radio and writes a weekly parenting column for News Corp.
Dr Kristin Alford is a futurist and the director of MOD. at the University of South Australia. MOD. is an immersive museum of discovery, a place to be and be inspired. Kristin leads a team dedicated to creating dynamic, changing exhibitions showcasing the edge of knowledge and emerging technologies. MOD. opens in 2018 and aims to surprise and delight young adults, opening new possibilities and pathways so that we can all live prosperously and sustainably.
With a science background, Niki has been calling Australia home since 2011. She works internationally as a conference keynote speaker, nature pedagogue and author as well as delivering a large range of professional learning opportunities on all aspects of Early Childhood Education and Care including Nature, STEM and The Arts.
Jodie is a psychologist, director of Intuitive Parenting, parenting speaker and author of 4 parenting books. She helps parents to connect more deeply to themselves and their children to create a family life based on love and understanding.
Your feedback is important to us. We use this information to help us:
- choose topics that parents want to know more about
- choose speakers that are experts in their field
- make the event accessible to as many parents as possible in ways that suit you
- provide relevant information about what parents can do to support children’s learning and education.
Your feedback can be emailed to email@example.com.
Parents in Education week is led by a steering group with the following members representing all 3 sectors of education, parents and staff across South Australia:
- Association of Independent Schools of SA (AISSA)
- The Federation of Catholic School Parent Communities
- Pre-School Directors Association
- South Australian Primary Principals’ Association (SAPPA)
- South Australian Secondary Principals’ Association (SASPA)
- South Australian Association of School Parents Clubs (SAASPC)
- Parenting SA.
Parents in Education Week
Phone: 8226 3734
Email: DECD.ParentEngagement [at] sa.gov.au