On this page
To volunteer at one of our schools, preschools and children’s centres you will need to contact the site you’re interested in helping.
Before you talk to someone at a site, think about what you love to do and how you can best help. You’ll be volunteering your time and skills, so try to make sure it’s something you’re good at and would be happy to spend your free time doing.
The application process at each site can be different; there are a few things that every new volunteer might go through before they can start.
If you decide to volunteer, you can expect an introduction that covers some basic things, like:
- your responsibilities and tasks
- training if needed
- work health and safety
- privacy and confidentiality
- relevant history screening if needed
- a Responding to Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care Training (RAN-EC) induction.
When you apply to a site to be a volunteer, you’ll need to share some information. Sites might use the templates below when recruiting and screening volunteers. Some of these documents are only for use by site staff, but some you can download and look at now – so you know the sort of information you’ll be expected to share.
- volunteer application form, sample (Word 165KB)
- screening and assessing suitability of volunteers (staff login required)
- volunteer induction checklist (Word 96KB)
- volunteer role description, suggested template (Word 66KB)
- volunteering agreement, suggested template (Word 67KB).
Volunteers are supervised by the department’s staff. The level of supervision will be different based on the work you do and if there is direct contact with students. Volunteers working directly with children always work with one of our staff.
Phone: 8226 3795
Email: decd.volunteers [at] sa.gov.au