The National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) is an annual assessment for students in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9. It is commissioned by the Education Council, a council of ministers from all states and territories that works to ensure high‐quality schooling and early childhood development experiences for all young Australians.
The NAPLAN tests, coordinated by the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), are administered simultaneously in all schools across Australia by the relevant state test administration authority. The Department for Education and Child Development (DECD) is the test administration authority for all schools in South Australia.
Information for parents can be found on the National Assessment Program website.
A NAPLAN factsheet for parents and a brochure explaining the student results report information to parents are available to download from the parent/carer support section of the National Assessment Program website.
Reports will be distributed to school principals in August 2016.
Handbooks and guides
- Interpreting the NAPLAN results for your school (PDF 533KB)
- Online image achival system user guide (PDF 325KB)
- 2016 NAPLAN writing marking guide (PDF 6.8MB)
- National protocols for test administration 2016 (PDF 298KB)
- Year 3 test administration handbook 2016 (PDF 332KB)
- Year 5 test administration handbook 2016 (PDF 370KB)
- Year 7 test administration handbook 2016 (PDF 260KB)
- Year 9 test administration handbook 2016 (PDF 260KB)
- Handbook for principals 2016 (PDF 1.0MB)
- Student participation website user guide (PDF 523KB)
- Guide for managing NAPLAN test incidents in schools 2016 (PDF 381KB)
Congratulations to all markers who participated in NAPLAN Marking 2016. Applications for NAPLAN Marking in 2017 will open again towards the end of the year.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list for NAPLAN Marking 2017 please decd.markingcentre [at] sa.gov.au (email the marking centre).
If you have any questions, please email decd.markingcentre [at] sa.gov.au or phone (08) 8226 3269.
Department for Education and Child Development (DECD)
Manager, Student Achievement Information
Phone: 8226 3269
Email: decd.sa.taa [at] sa.gov.au
Catholic Education South Australia (CESA)
Senior Education Adviser Educational Measurement
Phone: 8301 6136
Email: ray.moritz [at] cesa.catholic.edu.au
More information for Catholic schools can be found on the CESA website.
Association of Independent Schools of South Australia (AISSA)
Phone: 8179 1415
Email: kadowr [at] ais.sa.edu.au
More information for independent schools can be found on the AISSA website.