The National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) is an annual assessment for students in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9. It is commissioned by the Education Council, a council of ministers from all states and territories that works to ensure high‐quality schooling and early childhood development experiences for all young Australians.
The NAPLAN tests, coordinated by the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), are administered simultaneously in all schools across Australia by the relevant state test administration authority. The Department for Education and Child Development (DECD) is the test administration authority for all schools in South Australia.
This year some schools in Australia will be giving NAPLAN tests online. Around 50 DECD schools have been selected and Catholic and independent sector schools have also been invited to participate. The department will work closely with schools and sector representatives to support them through the transition year. It is anticipated that all Australian schools will be doing NAPLAN online testing by 2019.
All schools not taking NAPLAN tests online will continue with paper-based NAPLAN tests in 2017. The main changes for paper tests this year relate to the numeracy tests. Numeracy tests have been updated to further align to the Australian curriculum. The year 7 and 9 numeracy test also has fewer questions, and students will only sit one test session. The new, single numeracy test is separated into two parts, part A (calculators allowed) and part B (calculators not allowed).
Information on becoming a marker and marking is available on the marking the NAPLAN writing task page.
Information for parents can be found on the National Assessment Program website.
A NAPLAN factsheet for parents and a brochure explaining the student results report information to parents are available to download from the parent/carer support section of the National Assessment Program website.
Forms to be completed by 22 March 2017:
- Braille NAPLAN test request form (DOCX 19KB)
- Electronic NAPLAN test request form (DOCX 18KB)
- Large print NAPLAN test request form (DOCX 37KB)
Forms to be completed prior to beginning testing (available in English and other languages):
Handbooks and guides
- Handbook for principals (paper) (PDF 1.3MB)
- Student participation website user guide (PDF 895KB)
- Year 3 test administration handbook (PDF 296KB)
- Year 5 test administration handbook (PDF 326KB)
- Year 7 test administration handbook (PDF 220KB)
- Year 9 test administration handbook (PDF 225KB)
- Interpreting the NAPLAN results for your school (PDF 533KB)
Sample test materials
- Year 3/5 example test questions (PDF 476KB)
- Year 3/5 reading stimulus 1 (PDF 3.0MB)
- Year 3/5 reading stimulus 2 (PDF 632KB)
- Year 7/9 example test questions (PDF 462KB)
- Year 7/9 reading stimulus 1 (PDF 292KB)
- Year 7/9 reading stimulus 2 (PDF 1.7MB)
Previous test materials
Test materials from previous years can be accessed via the ACARA website.
South Australian sector contacts
Department for Education and Child Development (DECD)
Manager, Student Achievement Information
Phone: 8226 3269
Email: decd.sa.taa [at] sa.gov.au
Catholic Education South Australia (CESA)
Senior Education Adviser Educational Measurement
Phone: 8301 6136
Email: ray.moritz [at] cesa.catholic.edu.au
More information for Catholic schools can be found on the CESA website.
Association of Independent Schools of South Australia (AISSA)
Phone: 8179 1415
Email: kadowr [at] ais.sa.edu.au
More information for independent schools can be found on the AISSA website.