On this page
Outdoor learning areas are important for encouraging healthy behaviours and improving the physical, educational and mental wellbeing of children.
The preschool outdoor learning project facilitates the building of new outdoor learning areas in South Australian preschools between 2014 and 2018.
The project aims to:
- demonstrate the principles and values of authentic engagement with children, families and the local community
- strengthen communities through the design of culturally appropriate environments
- redevelop the outdoor environments in each of the sites to demonstrate the philosophy and practice of nature play in outdoor learning environments
- develop a space that fosters interaction, autonomy, explorations, curiosity and communication and places for children and adults
- understand and promote the relationship between the outdoor learning environment and children’s learning, and the pedagogical practices that enhance children’s learning.
2014 to June 2015
These plans detail the design principles, consultation and design concepts of the 2014 and 2015 sites:
- Wandana Child Parent Centre – Gilles Plains
- Sturt Street Children’s Centre – Adelaide
- Madge Sexton Kindergarten – McLaren Vale
- Campbelltown Preschool – Campbelltown
- Melaleuca Park Kindergarten – Mount Gambier
This documentary shows the development of the demonstration sites:
Phase 1: consultation, planning and community engagement
Phase 2: construction and use
2015 to June 2016
Sites undertaking the project in 2015 and 2016 are currently consulting with their communities to design their upgraded outdoor learning areas:
- Adelaide Miethke Kindergarten - Woodville South (PDF 1.6MB)
- Brentwood Drive Kindergarten - Huntfield Heights (PDF 1.5MB)
- Flinders Kindergarten - Port Augusta (PDF 1.4MB)
- Hackney Kindergarten - Hackney (PDF 2.6MB)
- Solomontown Kindergarten - Port Pirie (PDF 1.5MB)
2016 to June 2018
10 South Australian Government preschools have been selected for an outdoor learning area through an expression of interest process.
2016 to June 2017 sites are:
- Alberton Preschool, Queenstown
- Oaklands Estate Kindergarten, Marion
- Elizabeth Grove Children's Centre
- Koonibba Child Parent Centre
- Mallala Preschool.
2017 to June 2018 sites are:
- Moonta Kindergarten
- Salisbury Park Kindergarten
- Renmark Children's Centre
- Yankalilla Community Children's Centre
- Riverview Preschool Centre, Salisbury Downs.
Early Learning Partnerships and Planning
Phone: 8226 0901
Email: decd.preschools [at] sa.gov.au