The numeracy and literacy strategy outlines the importance of making sure that more children have a great start to their numeracy and literacy learning.
Young children thrive when their parents and carers speak and play with them, and encourage them to explore their world and ask questions.
These simple things are important contributions that parents and carers can make to their child's numeracy and literacy development.
The strategy also aims to support parents by:
- providing targeted referrals to community support
- increasing the number of playgroups
- developing numeracy and literacy resources and workshops.
Other initiatives that promote a great start include:
- numeracy and literacy resources for families
- the GreatStart website developed to get parents and carers involved in the development of their children, and a central part of the Numeracy and Literacy strategy.
Learning Improvement division
- Early Years Directorate - 8463 5896
- Primary Learners Directorate - 8463 5829
- Secondary Learners Directorate - 8463 5847
- Strategic Design Directorate – 8463 5978
- Professional Practices Directorate - 8226 2750
Email: decd.newmedia [at] sa.gov.au