The Adelaide Flute Ensemble is an ensemble of SA government school students of the flute in years 10 to 12. It provides opportunities to perform in high-profile concerts and at venues.
This ensemble consists of 10 to 15 players and offers access to the piccolo as well as alto, bass and contrabass flutes.
The ensemble enables students to undertake Ensemble Performance as a Year 12 (SACE Stage 2) subject.
All flute students in SA government schools, years 10 to 12 in 2016 are eligible to apply. Entry to the ensemble is by audition.
The audition should take approximately 10 minutes.
The standard required is beyond intermediate level (2+ years learning).
Applicants should prepare to present:
- scales, to be played at quaver = 60-80
- any major scale of your choice, ascending and descending in one breath
- any major scale of your choice, with 3 or more sharps or flats in the key signature
- a chromatic scale descending to the lowest note in your range
- 2 pieces of your own choice that demonstrate technical and musical ability at your current level
- at least one minute in length
- contrasting in style, tempo, register, or rhythm.
Auditions will be held:
- on either Monday 14 November at Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig, 2:00-4:00pm
- or Friday 25 November at Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig, 2:00-4:00pm
To book an audition, please use the online application form.
Please make a note of your selected audition day, time and venue.
If you have any difficulties, please call Sharon Burgess: 0458 185 152
All applicants must print and complete the audition form (Word 105KB) and bring it to the audition. All fields must be completed.
Members are expected to:
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- engage positively with the entire team
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing.
Rehearsals occur every Wednesday, from 4.30pm to 6.00pm, at Adelaide High School, West Terrace, Adelaide.
Members are expected to learn the music before rehearsals. If necessary, they should ask their instrumental music teacher for help.
If a member cannot attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor via phone or email.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
For performances, members must wear respectful black clothes (including shoes and socks) with a splash of colour, suitable for public performance in prestigious venues.
The membership fee is $55 per year.
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: DECD.Ensembles16 [at] schools.sa.edu.au