The Primary Schools Guitar Ensemble (PSGE) provides a valuable opportunity for young classical guitarists to play with other musicians.
The PSGE performs as a guest artist in a variety of settings, including some of the major performance venues in Adelaide.
The repertoire for this ensemble includes music representing a range of musical styles, selected to suit the specific nature of the instrument.
All classical (nylon string) guitar (using finger style technique) students in SA government primary schools, years 5 to 7 in 2016 are eligible to apply. Entry is by audition.
Steel string acoustic guitars, electric guitars and plectrum technique are not appropriate for this ensemble.
The audition should take approximately 10 minutes.
Applicants should have been learning for more than 1 year.
Applicants should prepare to present:
- 3 one octave scales, including a chromatic scale (it is suggested that a variety of scales are demonstrated, for example, major or minor, flat or sharp keys)
- one piece of your choice that demonstrates technical and musical ability at your current level (unaccompanied)
- ‘Waltz’ by Daniel Fortea.
PSGE Applicants are expected to have reasonable mastery of the following techniques:
- rest stroke (apoyando)
- free stroke (tirando)
- arpeggios (pimami)
- block chords (pima)
- half barres
- upward slurs
- downward slurs.
Auditions will be held:
- Wednesday 23 November, 9:00am – 11:00am at Klemzig IM Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig
To book an audition, please use the online application form.
Please make a note of your selected audition day, time and venue.
If you have any difficulties, please call Sharon Burgess: 0458 185 152
All applicants must print and complete the audition form (Word 105KB) and bring it to the audition. All fields must be completed.
Ensemble members are expected to:
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- engage positively with the entire PSGE team
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing.
Rehearsals commence in term 1, week 2, 2017. Rehearsals will occur weekly on Wednesday afternoons from 3.45pm to 5.15pm, at Highbury Primary School, Payne Street, Hope Valley.
Members are expected to learn the music before rehearsals. If necessary, they should ask their instrumental music teacher for help.
If a member cannot attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor via phone or email.
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
For performances, members must wear:
- quality, respectful black trousers or a black skirt
- a white shirt or top
- black shoes
- black socks.
The membership fee for the PSGE is $55 per year.
Members are also expected to purchase a ‘neck up’ guitar support (approximately $60).
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: DECD.Ensembles16 [at] schools.sa.edu.au