The Primary Schools Music Festival orchestras consist of three orchestras of approximately 30 SA government school students, and provide a tailored playing opportunity for players of:
- electric guitar
- electric bass guitar
Each orchestra is made up of a string, wind and rhythm section.
Repertoire for the orchestras includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles as accompaniment for the Festival of Music choirs and orchestra-only feature pieces. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
Festival of Music dates
The Festival of Music for 2017 will be held during September in the Adelaide Entertainment Centre. Each orchestra will perform in 3 concerts during the concert series.
Rehearsals are held at:
- North – Location to be advised.
- South – Location to be advised.
Entry is by audition.
All string, brass, woodwind, keyboard, electric guitar, electric bass guitar and percussion students in SA government schools in years 5 to 9 in 2017 are eligible to apply.
Booking an audition
Auditions will be held:
- on Thursday 17 November at Darlington Primary School, White Crescent, Seacombe Gardens, 9:00am – 4:00pm
- or on Tuesday 22November at Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig, 9:00am – 4:00pm.
To book an audition, please use the online application form.
All auditions times must be booked.
Country students may be able to do an online audition, or submit a CD or DVD recording. Contact Leader, Learning Pathways on 0458 185 152 for more information.
Electric guitar and electric bass students need to bring their own lead and instrument. An amplifier will be provided.
The audition should take approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
No accompaniment is required.
Applicants should prepare to present:
- excerpts downloaded from the website
- one piece of their own choice to demonstrate their current level of ability.
See the PSMF website for the ranges and key signatures required.
Expectations of orchestra members
Orchestra members are expected to:
- engage positively with the entire PSMF team
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing.
Beginning in term 1, week 5, 2016, rehearsals occur every Thursday from 4.30pm to 6pm.
Members are expected to learn the music before rehearsals. If necessary, they should ask their instrumental music teacher for help.
If a member can’t attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
For performances, members must wear:
- the provided Festival of Music shirt
- black trousers or a black skirt
- black socks or stockings
- respectful black shoes.
The membership fee of the PSMFO is $55 per year. This includes the cost of the Festival Music performance shirt and black folder.
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: DECD.Ensembles16 [at] schools.sa.edu.au