The Primary Schools String Orchestra (PSSO) provides a tailored playing opportunity for players of string instruments in SA government primary schools.
The PSSO aims to help members:
- foster a love and understanding of music
- develop skills in ensemble playing
- facilitate the building of friendships with other musicians from a broad cross-section of SA government schools.
Repertoire for this orchestra includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
All violin, viola, cello and double bass students in SA Government schools, years 5 to 7 in 2016 are eligible to apply. Entry is by audition.
Students auditioning for this ensemble may like to consider auditioning on the same instrument (in the one audition), for the Primary Schools Music Festival orchestras.
This ensemble is currently full.
Ensemble members are expected to:
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- engage positively with the entire PSSO team
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing.
Rehearsals will commence in term 1, week 1, 2016. Rehearsals will occur every Tuesday from 4.00pm to 5.45pm, at Dunstan Hall, Norwood Primary School, Osmond Terrace, Norwood.
Members are expected to learn the music before rehearsals. If necessary, they should ask their instrumental music teacher for help.
If a member can’t attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
For performances, members must provide their own performance uniform.
The membership fee for the PSSO is $55 per year.
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: DECD.Ensembles16 [at] schools.sa.edu.au