Music programs provide opportunities to enhance student learning, achievement and performance in music and arts education. Some of the programs are wholly operated by the education department while others are offered in partnership with outside agencies.
The national review of school music education - augmenting the diminished describes best practice for music education in Australian schools. According to the review:
- music programs have been shown to reduce truancy, increase participation and enable participation by students who are not performing well in the standard curriculum
- literacy and numeracy standards are lifted by continuous participation in education in musical creation and performance
- music education is used to build social inclusion and reduce disadvantage.
Instrumental music tuition complements the classroom music program by providing knowledge and skills in practical music making on an instrument or voice.
Instrumental and vocal tuition can be provided by Instrumental Music, or by private music instructors.
To access instrumental music tuition, contact your school. For all other queries, please contact your local office.
The Music Programs unit coordinates:
- Instrumental Music
- the Primary Schools Music Festival
- management of private music instructors who work in SA government schools
- management of programs provided with Musica Viva in Schools and Adelaide Youth Orchestra.
Instrumental music education in SA government schools is delivered through Instrumental Music.
Music ensembles and orchestras
Instrumental Music North office
Phone: 8261 8988
Email: IMKlemzigOffice608 [at] schools.sa.edu.au
Instrumental Music South office
Phone: 8392 3800
Email: IMMorphettValeOffice896 [at] schools.sa.edu.au
Phone: 8226 1883
Email: decd.musicprograms [at] sa.gov.au