To access a private music instructor, contact your school.
To become a private music instructor, you must first receive a letter of authorisation (LOA). Before Music Programs can provide this letter, you must submit:
- a completed registration form, which can be requested DECD.musicprograms [at] sa.gov.au (via e-mail)
- your relevant history screening clearance letter
- your responding to abuse and neglect – education and care certificate (RAN-EC)
- your highest music and/or education qualification.
If applicable, you must also include your:
- teachers registration certificate
- special authority to teach (SAT) and/or employable ancillary register (EAR) letter.
Once you have gathered this information you can submit your registration DECD.musicprograms [at] sa.gov.au
Music Programs will evaluate your submission before emailing and posting you a letter of authorisation.
Private music instructors must provide each school with a copy of their current LOA, DCSI relevant history screening clearance letter and RAN-EC certificate.
If you require a new DCSI screening, email DECD.musicprograms [at] sa.gov.au with the following information to initiate your online screening request:
- full name
- date of birth
- current email address
- DECD employee ID number (if you have one)
- details of the prospective role for which you are applying.
A link to the online application will be emailed to you, follow the instructions outlined in the DCSI online application process fact sheet (PDF 653KB) to complete your online application.
Private music instructors are required to pay for their own screening:
- Contractor $103.40 (inc. GST).
You must attend a full day face-to-face responding to abuse and neglect - education and care training. This is the only training course accepted. The RAN – child safe environments course is not accepted.
It is also your responsibility to ensure that your training is updated regularly.
Refer to Responding to Abuse and Neglect - education and care for further information.
Each year all private music instructors will be emailed a registration form for you to:
- update your details
- advise Music Programs of where you will be teaching next year.
You must return the form to decd.musicprograms [at] sa.gov.au
Once received and approved, a new letter of authorisation (LOA) will be emailed and posted to you.
Each year, you must provide each school you will teach at with a copy of:
- LOA letter
- DCSI letter
- RAN-EC certificate.
The Graduate Certificate in Music Teaching is offered by the University of Adelaide’s Elder Conservatorium of Music and aimed at in-service instrumental music teachers.
Graduates will gain the skills required for registration with the Teachers' Registration Board of SA, under the special authority to teach category.
For more information about this course, visit the University of Adelaide website.
Phone: 8226 1883
Email: decd.musicprograms [at] sa.gov.au