On this page
Up to 20 university students have the opportunity to access scholarships to support their professional experience placements in regional and rural government schools and preschools in South Australia.
Scholarships of up to $4000 can be used to cover the cost of transport, accommodation and other costs associated with distant placement.
You can download the application form (Word 131KB) and apply now. Applications close 30 November 2017.
To apply for a scholarship, you must be:
- studying at a metro-based campus of one of the three South Australian universities (Flinders University, the University of South Australia or Adelaide University)
- in your final year of an undergraduate or post graduate initial teacher education program in 2018
- planning to undertake a professional experience placement at one of the participating government schools.
In 2018, priority has been given to the Upper Spencer Gulf area (Port Pirie, Port Augusta and Whyalla). The participating schools are:
- Airdale Primary School
- Edward John Eyre High School
- Flinders View Primary School
- John Pirie Secondary School
- Long Street Primary School
- Quorn Area School
- Risdon Park Primary School
- Solomontown Primary School
- Stirling North Primary School
- Whyalla High School
- Whyalla Stuart R – 7 School
- Willsden Primary School.
To apply for a scholarship, you must:
- complete a scholarship application form (Word 131KB)
- gather relevant attachments including your academic transcripts and previous professional experience reports
- have your university tutor sign your application form
- forward your completed form and attachments to DECD.leadershipdevelopment [at] sa.gov.au by 30 November 2017
- if you have not already passed the Literacy and numeracy test for initial teacher education, you should enrol now.
A panel of representatives will assess applications. Applicants will be advised of the outcome by the end of 2017. Successful applicants will be offered a conditional scholarship, to be confirmed once applicants have provided evidence that they meet all scholarship conditions prior to commencement of their placement.
To have a scholarship offer confirmed, successful applicants must:
- successfully complete the Literacy and numeracy test for initial teacher education prior to commencing their scholarship placement
- have been offered and accepted a placement at one of the participating government schools
- sign an agreement regarding the use of scholarship funds.
Once the scholarship is confirmed, recipients agree to:
- successfully completing their professional experience
- providing feedback on their experience to DECD
- committing to pursuing employment opportunities in regional and rural South Australia.
Leadership and Development directorate
Phone: 8226 1231
Email: DECD.leadershipdevelopment [at] sa.gov.au