All education department (DECD) swimming and aquatics employees must have a current child related employment screening (CRES) provided by the Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Screening unit.
National police certificates from a SAPOL branch are not acceptable.
Screenings must be updated every 3 years.
Processing can take up to 12 weeks so it is important to allow enough time before your anticipated employment time or expiry of current CRES. If you are successful in the screening, DCSI will send a letter stating that you have been cleared for the child-related work. Keep this letter for your records. You will need to provide a copy of it to the Swimming and Aquatics unit.
DCSI have an online application process for child related employment screenings which existing and prospective DECD Swimming and Aquatics instructors will need to use:
- Read the instructions for completing the form (PDF 297 KB)
- Request an application form (PDF 464KB)
- Forward the completed form by email to the Swimming and Aquatics unit at DECDswimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au.
This is the only process used. The previous hard copy process is no longer accepted.
For instructors to be ‘eligible to work’ for the department they must have:
- a child related employment screening (CRES)
- completed the Responding to Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RAN-EC) course
- completed first aid training including resuscitation (CPR) and asthma
- an Austswim or designated aquatics or surf education specific qualification.
These requirements will appear on your eligibility for employment letter along with the expiry dates and an indication of whether you are eligible to work.
Instructors who do not have all the instruction qualifications current when applying will be required to pay for the clearance.
Swimming and Aquatics unit
Phone: 8226 1302
Fax: 8115 5558
Email: DECDswimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au