The Department for Education and Child Development (DECD) Swimming and Aquatics unit welcomes Austswim candidates who wish to get teaching experience in the DECD swimming program.
Contact the instructor-in-charge at the swimming centre you wish to access.
You must provide evidence of:
- your Austswim course booking confirmation letter and receipt of payment
- completing the Responding to Abuse And Neglect – education and care (RAN-EC) training (renewed every 3 years)
- completing a child related employment screening (CRES) (renewed every 3 years)
- ‘form 4 supervised teaching experience guidelines’ from your Austswim candidate handbook.
To apply for a child related employment screening:
- Download a child related employment screening application form (PDF 687KB).
- Select payment option 1, tick ‘volunteer’.
- Complete section D with the following information:
D1 – Requesting organisation
DECD Swimming and Aquatics unit
Level 1 East, 31 Flinders Street
Adelaide SA 5000
D2 – Requesting officer/contact person
‘Tick if the requesting officer is the same person as the verifying officer’ (leave blank)
Name: Peter Roberts
Position: Manager, Sport, Swimming and Aquatics unit
Phone: 8226 2403
Mobile: leave blank
Email: Peter.Roberts3 [at] sa.gov.au
Alternate contact: Swimming and Aquatics unit
Alternate email: DECDSwimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au
D3 – Employment/placement/volunteer details
Give a proposed date of employment (DD/MM/YY).
D4 – Sole trader
Mark as ‘not applicable’.
4.Pay the fee and submit the form at a post office.
5.If you are successful in the screening, DCSI will send a letter stating that you have been cleared for child related paid or volunteer work.
If you are planning to complete your practical teaching component of the Austswim course with Swimming and Aquatics unit you will need to provide a copy of this letter to the instructor-in-charge of your selected centre.
If you plan to seek employment as an assistant instructor or an instructor with the Swimming and Aquatics unit the CRES is one of the required qualifications.
See working in swimming and aquatics for more information about pay rates and working as an assistant instructor or instructor in the Swimming and Aquatics unit.
Swimming and Aquatics unit
Phone: 8226 1302
Fax: 8115 5558
Email: DECDswimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au