Instructors and assistant instructors support the swimming, aquatics and surf education programs for schools.
Instructors support the delivery of the swimming and aquatics program by:
- supporting the instructor-in-charge to apply relevant policies and procedures
- supporting the teachers’ duty of care
- seeking support and active supervision by school staff during the lesson
- preparing comprehensive lesson plans that meet the objectives of the program
- completing class attendance rolls
- preparing and packing up required equipment prior to and after each lesson
- being easily identifiable to school site staff
- referring parents’ enquiries to school staff or the instructor-in-charge
- completing a developmental record for students
- maintaining their qualifications.
The become an assistant instructor page lists the process for applying and the qualifications you will need to become an assistant instructor.
Assistant instructors must be 16 years old and over.
Swimming, aquatics and surf education instructors
The pages below outline the process for applying and the qualifications you need to become an instructor:
Instructors must be 18 years old and over.
The hourly rates of pay for instructors and assistant instructors are:
- instructor – $46.40
- assistant instructor – $26.60.
Volunteers are not authorised to work in the DECD swimming and aquatics program unless specifically allowed to by both the instructor-in-charge and the school principal.
The Swimming and Aquatics unit supports Austswim candidates who wish to get teaching experience in the DECD swimming program.
There may be times where additional support in the water would be helpful. On these occasions the support is provided by school staff.
Swimming and Aquatics unit
Phone: 8226 1302
Fax: 8115 5558
Email: DECDswimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au