The Responding to Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RAN-EC) online update training is a compulsory update course for department staff who have completed the full day RAN-EC training. The RAN-EC 2012 to 2014 training cycle was only valid until 31 December 2015.
The online training is also open to staff from Catholic and independent schools.
The current RAN-EC online update course is only available to people who have previously completed:
- the RAN-EC full day training between 2009 and 2014
- the RAN-EC online update course 2012 to 2014.
If the last time you completed training was before 2009, you will need to complete the RAN-EC full day training.
To apply for renewal of registration you must complete the Responding to Abuse and Neglect - education and care online update course 2015 to 2017 (free of charge).
Department for Child Protection staff – not eligible
The RAN-EC online training is not suitable for Department for Child Protection (DCP) employees.
DCP staff requiring training in child safe environments must access training by logging on to the DCP Learning and Practice Development team calendar LAPD programs.
For further discussion about DCP training, please contact the Child Safe Environments team on 8207 1091.
You need to read the frequently asked questions (PDF 205KB) before starting the online training.
These documents work with the online training, so it’s good to have them nearby as you do the course.
- Protective practices for staff in their interactions with children and young people (PDF 507KB)
- Responding to problem sexual behaviour in children and young people (PDF 1.36 MB)
- Managing allegations of sexual misconduct in SA education and care settings (PDF 24 KB)
- Interagency code of practice - investigation of suspected child abuse or neglect (PDF 374KB)
- Guidance for responding to children and young people (Word 4MB)
- Information sharing guidelines
Once you have read the frequently asked questions and checked that you are eligible, you can register, login and start the course.
Site leaders must read the instructions for site leaders (PDF 126KB), the recording RAN-EC training fact sheet (PDF, 621KB) and professional focus sessions factsheet (PDF 290KB) and facilitate a professional focus session after staff have completed the training.
Child Development and Wellbeing
Phone: 8226 0870
Email: DECD.CSW [at] sa.gov.au